Monday, September 9, 2013
My Mother-in-Law
Another woman who has had a hand in raising me is my mother-in-law. Sharon. I was young when I met Sharon and I didn't really get nervous when I met her. The first time was shortly before our first date. The boy I was madly in love with: love at first sight at the tender age of 18. I had broken up with a boyfriend after I met Jud because my feelings for him were so strong. Even so it never occurred to me to be nervous about meeting his mother. I viewed her as a potential friend almost from the beginning. I would be interested to know what she thought of ME. Good lord, I think I was probably annoying. I had the opportunity to interact with her more after Jud and I started to get serious about one another. We had been officially a couple for only a couple months before he left for boot camp. While he was in boot camp he wrote to me about family day. A time when a soldiers family could come see them. Probably to reassure the family that the army wasn't killing their young recruits. Despite the letters being sent home. I remember in a letter Jud sent he expressed a desire to have both me and his mom attend. This was shortly after he had made me the happiest I could remember being and proposed. I naturally was desperate to go. As luck would have it I was unable to book my own flight because I didn't have a credit card. Sharon was kind enough to book my flight for me and put it on her credit card. I'm pretty sure I paid for it. So that first summer we had a few interactions together in that process. I remember she was always very kind to me and she never made me feel anything but acceptance. After Jud got home from boot camp we were an engaged couple and family events were attended together. It was during this time that I really got to know Sharon. We have had the opportunity to spend time one on one and discuss life, Jud, and later motherhood together. I treasure these times we have shared. The biggest thing that Sharon has taught me is how to love her son. She loves him truly and unconditionally and even when I'm tearful on the phone about something she is loyal to him without making me feel like the bad guy. I think that is a wonderful gift. She also has a gift of empathy. She is a really great listener. She will be the first to agree with me that so and so (not my husband of course) is a horse's ass. Even if we both know I'm the one at fault. It's a truly wonderful thing to have a friend like that. Sometimes you don't want advice, you don't want to be judged, you just want someone to agree with you. That's what Sharon does for me. Another wonderful thing about her is that I know she's always got my back. Like any relationship we have had our ups and downs. I know I've done things to hurt and frustrate her and vice versa. But I've never felt for one instant that she wouldn't be there when I needed her. Having her in my life gives me strength and confidence. Because I know for a fact that no matter what I do she will love me and support me and listen to me. I can only hope to one day emulate those fine qualities she has shown me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment